Small Christian Communities (SCC)
Office of Faith Formation
v v v
Parish Suggestion Box
Facts About Our Church
St. Peter the Apostle
Parish was incorporated on June 19, 1948. Prior to this date, people who
resided in River Edge had to go to other towns to receive the sacraments
and to worship on Sunday. The first Mass was celebrated by Msgr. Eugene
Burke of Holy Trinity, Hackensack on August 17, 1947. Ground was broken
for the existing buildings on July 27, 1950. Until their completion,
Roosevelt School served as the church building for this new parish.
Msgr. Burke did not live to see the completion of this building project.
On June 30, 1952, Fr. Daniel Collins was named administrator of the
parish. With the help and dedication of many loyal and faithful
parishioners, the three building complex which included the convent,
rectory, school and church were completed. The school building was opened
for classes on September 8, 1952 for 625 students. Saturday, October 4,
1952 will long be remembered by those who were present. On this date the
dedication ceremonies were held. The very next day, Fr. Collins
celebrated the first Mass in the new church. Fr. Collins was named pastor
on February 8, 1953, a post he held until his retirement on September 30,
1970. Almost seven years earlier, Fr. Collins was honored with the title
The school, now named St. Peter Academy, is a co-sponsored school.
Children from both St. Peter's and Queen of Peace, Maywood make up the
student body. Some years ago the convent building was converted into a
senior residence called the Senior Residence of River Edge, and it is no
longer occupied by the Sisters.
A parish is indeed more than its building. St. Peter the Apostle Parish
is blessed to this day with many dedicated and willing people who are
filled with the spirit of God's love and who give of themselves generously
to keep the parish alive and vibrant. From its humble beginning, St.
Peter's has become a very active and spirited parish.
In 1997, the parish decided to mark the
fiftieth anniversary of its founding in 1948 by initiating a renovation of
the interior of the church and the construction of an addition. The
completed project is described and pictured in our virtual tour of the
"new" St. Peter's:
TAKE THE TOUR
Parish Staff &
Join St. Peter's
Request Hospital Visit